Since I joined the Institut Charles Sadron (ICS) in 2005, my attention has been mainly devoted to the theory and the simulation of soft matter systems: polymers, colloids, self-assembled amphiphiles and lipid membranes. I am since 2020 the head of the Physics of Membranes and Soft Matter (M3) team at the ICS.
I like to combine theoretical modelling with molecular dynamics simulations to address fundamental issues in the physical chemistry of the systems of interest: lipid configuration analysis by machine learning, determination of complex structural and thermodynamic features of lipid mixtures, understanding rheological properties of lipid coatings or drying colloidal suspensions. I equally contribute to the phenomenological interpretations of many experimental results that are obtained by the M3 experimentalists.
- Soft Condensed Matter theory
- Statistical Physics and Computer Simulations
- Rheology and Thermodynamics of Lipid bilayers
- Drying and Wetting
- Lipid oxidation
Recent selected papers
- Internal lipid bilayer friction coefficient from equilibrium canonical simulations O Benazieb, L Berezovska, F Thalmann J. Phys. Commun. 7 011001 (2023)
- Excimer formation of pyrene labeled lipids interpreted by means of coarse-grained molecular dynamics simulations P Ayoub, F Thalmann arXiv (2022)
- Stress overshoot, hysteresis and Bauschinger effect in sheared dense colloidal suspensions D Kushnir, C Ruscher, E Bartsch, F Thalmann, P Hébraud, arXiv (2022)OpenAccess
- Rheology of sliding leaflets in coarse-grained DSPC lipid bilayers O. Benazieb, C. Loison, F. Thalmann, Phys.Rev.E (2021) OpenAccess
- Accumulation of styrene oligomers alters lipid membrane phase order and miscibility M. I. Morandi, M. Kluzek, J. Wolff ; A. Schroder, F. Thalmann, C. M. Marques,P.N.A.S. (2021) OpenAccess
- A machine learning study of the two states model for lipid bilayer phase transitions V. Walter, C. Ruscher, 0. Benzerara, C.M. Marques, F. Thalmann, P.C.C.P. (2020) OpenAccess
- Fluid bilayer phase in aqueous mixtures of fatty alcohol and cationic surfactant T. Espinosa de Oliveira, F. Leonforte, L. Nicolas-Morgantini, A.L. Fameau, B. Querleux, F. Thalmann, C.M. Marques, Phys.Rev.Research (2020)
- Simulation of Vertical Surfactant Distributions in Drying Latex Films A. Gromer, F. Thalmann, P. Hébraud, and Y. Holl,Langmuir (2017) OpenAccess